David Tom Cooke, MD, FACS
President, Northern California Chapter of the American College of Surgeons
On behalf of the Officers, Councilors and Governors of the Northern California Chapter of the American College of Surgeons, we wish you a Happy New Year! Last year was very busy, and 2019 will be just as active. In addition to supporting the important work of the American College of Surgeons, the Northern California Chapter continues our active involvement in advocacy, to give surgeons a voice in Sacramento and in Washington.
For the first time in the history of our organization, the three ACS California Chapters (Northern, Southern and San Diego) have collaborated to form a State Advocacy Committee, the California Chapters of the ACS Joint Advocacy Committee (Cal-JAC) to strengthen our voice at the state and national levels. This collaborative effort is emblematic of the mission of our chapter to bring surgeons together under a common goal.
Save the date: The Cal-JAC “Day at the Capitol”/CMA “Legislative Advocacy Day”, April 23-24, 2019, State Capitol, Sacramento, CA.
On April 23, 2019, the NCCACS will host a “Day at the Capitol”, which will run in continuity with the California Medical Association “Legislative Advocacy Day”, April 24, 2019. As part of the NCCACS “Day at the Capitol”, the Cal-JAC will hold its Inaugural Joint Advocacy Chapter Meeting, followed by a social hour.
Continuing Medical Education
As a member of the chapter, we invite you to join us at our 2019 Annual Educational Meeting in Berkeley CA (register at link below) , which promises to be enjoyable and packed with timely and engaging topics. The meeting will be at The Claremont Hotel and Spa on March 15-16, 2019. Our Annual Educational Meeting has always been well received by the California surgical community and ACS national leadership. We expect approximately 150-200 chapter members and trainees in attendance. The meeting qualifies for AMA PRA Category 1 credits.
We look forward to your involvement in our wonderful local chapter. And let us know how we can best serve you!
2019 ANNUAL EDUCATIONAL MEETING
The 2019 Annual Educational Meeting presents a wonderful opportunity for networking amongst colleagues throughout Northern California, and to learn what is new in surgery. The meeting will be at The Claremont Hotel and Spa, in Berkeley, CA, on March 15-16, 2019.
Highlights of the Upcoming 2019 Meeting:
· 4th Annual Thomas R. Russell, MD, FACS, Surgical Trainee Research Competition. Residents, fellows, medical students, pre-medical students, and other surgical trainees will present original work in the broad areas of surgical basic science and clinical investigation, including medical education and healthcare outcomes research.
- The winner of the Russell Surgical Trainee Research Competition will receive a $500 cash prize.
- As part of a NCCACS partnership with the Journal of Surgical Research (JSR), the top 10 abstracts will be invited to submit full manuscripts to JSR for expedited review as “2019 NCCACS Annual Meeting Manuscripts.
· 3rd Biennial Lap Bowl: Resident Team Surgical Skills Competition. This wonderful and fun competition pits our northern California residency programs against each other for surgical skills bragging rights.
· Special Surgical Education Day, Including Sessions on:
- Resident Wellness
- Managing Patient Initiated Conflict: Strategies for Residents & Faculty
· Resident & Associate Society Round Table Forum: Negotiating Skills for New Residency Grands and Anyone Changing Jobs
· Young Fellows Association Round Table Forum: How Can the College Help Me Be A Leader?
· Fascinating Panels Including:
- Diversity and Inclusion in Surgery –The Return on Investment
- ACS Clinical Accreditation Programs – How We Did It
· A fascinating and informative “How To” video session entitled You Can do That? Extended Application of Robotic Surgery
· An Advocacy Town Hall. California Chapters of the ACS Advocacy Committee Open Forum: What California Policy Issues Should We be Taking the Lead?